As I mentioned yesterday, I just got back from Metrocon 2010. All in all, it was a fun weekend full of TF2 cosplay flash mobs and calling people in Deadpool costumes "Spiderman". Looking back, I thought I'd compile a list of things I noticed and mistakes I made.
- Before giving a valet your keys, you should probably remove the goth lolita Hello Kitty keychain.
- Choose your Pokéwalker route wisely. Connecting with a dozen people gave me pretty much a bunch of shards, and I have no idea what they do.
- Homeless people now wear neon construction vests to keep from getting ran over.
- Holding a convention in which many people are wearing large/heavy/multi-layered costumes in Tampa in the middle of summer seems like some kind of cruel joke.
- Your view be damned, don't intentionally pick a high floor in a hotel, unless you like awkwardly shuffling around in the elevator for five minutes whenever you want to go to or leave your room.
- Nobody likes Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire. Seriously, I saw cosplayers as pretty much every trainer from every other generation, even the upcoming Black/White trainers, but not May or whatever her male counterpart is called.
- A surprising number of TF2 cosplayers are girls, and they're not just the Scout's Moms and Pyros; a few were Snipers, and one even painted on a 5 o'clock shadow. Another had a Jarate that she used as a Mountain Dew thermos, which is the best and/or worst idea ever.
- If you enjoy laughter, you must get, or know somebody who has, a latex full-head horse mask.
- I have to get into the "ridiculous-looking hats modeled after the top of cartoon characters' heads" business. Pretty much every character in Beeserker is a hat waiting to happen.
Anyway, I had a great time, and am definitely looking forward to AFO next month.